We’re a new committee at First Parish Church United. We formed during the summer of 2017 and are welcoming new members!
Here is our mission statement:
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”
– Margaret Mead
Action for Social Justice at First Parish Church United believes that justice is at the core of our faith and that we are called to make a positive difference in our wider communities. We work to serve, to raise awareness, and to support and partner with people who face injustice.
In furtherance of this belief, ASJ seeks to:
- Engage our Church community in discussions about social justice focus areas
- Provide opportunities for interested members of the Congregation to engage in social justice ministries
- Collaborate with the UCC, UUA and local churches to move this mission forward
- Strengthen existing relationships and form new partnerships with organizations in our area that share our goals
- Communicate with the Congregation about local events involving social justice issues
Because: “What does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness and to walk humbly with your God?” — Micah 6:8
Our plans for the coming year
We’ll be selecting focus areas and leaning on our denominations to help us with this. We’re in the process of reviewing these resources during our selection process:
On Sunday, October 29, Laura Wagner from UU Mass Action will be speaking at our worship service and conducting a workshop. Since 2006 UU Mass Action has been organizing and mobilizing the 20,000 Unitarian Universalist an 142 congregations around social justice issues in Massachusetts. We’re working on lining up other speakers during 2017/2018.